Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hazardous Oven

I haven't updated my blog at all this week. There have been a few reasons for this, but the main one is that my oven is broken! Let me tell you a story.

I came home from work on Tuesday and the first thing I noticed when I opened my front door was that it smelled like gas. It smelled very, very strongly of gas in fact. Usually when I open the door my cat comes running up to greet me (by "greet", I mean she meows at me until I feed her) but this day she was nowhere to be seen, so of course my first thought was, "Ohmygodtheresagasleakinmyapartmentandmycatisdead!" But I called out her name and she emerged from the kitchen cupboard next to the fridge that has become her new favorite napping place.


I called the gas company, and they sent someone out right away. He checked out everything in my kitchen and announced that some part of my oven needs to be replaced and that I should not use the oven until my apartment building replaces the part. He then turned off the gas supply to my oven so that it can't be used, and also tagged the oven with a "Hazardous" sign in case I'm an idiot and still try to cook in an oven that's been shut off.


So, I haven't cooked at my apartment this week, but I did actually mix up some batter at home and then transported it over to significant other's apartment to bake it, but that is a story for another post.

I'm not sure if my apartment building is going to replace my oven part by the time I move out of here next weekend, so I may not get to do any more cooking in my apartment. How sad, the last thing I "made" in my oven was toasting some hamburger buns for the veggie burgers we grilled up on Monday night. (I love Gardenburgers, I wish I could have one right now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment