Thursday, June 10, 2010

Curried Lentils


Ingredients:
1 cup lentils
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
3 1/2 Tbsp butter ghee
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup coconut milk

Directions
1. Rinse the lentils and drain well.

2. Put lentils, vegetable stock, and turmeric in pot or large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Stir occasionally to make sure lentils are not sticking to bottom.

3. Meanwhile, heat the butter ghee in a frying pan and add the onion. Cook until soft and golden.

4. Add the garlic, chilli, cumin, and coriander. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.

5. Add the onion mixture to the lentil mixture.

6. Add the tomato and simmer over very low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

7. Add coconut milk.

8. Stir until heated through and season to taste. Serve with rice and/or naan.

My significant other and I made this a couple of nights ago. (That's his hand pouring the coconut milk; he commented that his hand looks super strong gripping that can.) I've had a cold for the past few days, and I'm only now starting to feel a bit better. The night we made this, I ate some of it, but I could hardly taste it due to my cold, so I didn't really enjoy it. Significant other assured me that it was very good, and very flavorful though. I ate the leftovers tonight, now that I can taste things again, and he was right, it was good! I think I still would have added more spices at the end, especially black pepper, the king of all spices, but maybe that's just my temporarily restricted tastebuds talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment