Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Grilled Caprese Sandwich


Ingredients:
olive oil
2 slices rye bread
mozzarella cheese, sliced
tomatoes, sliced
fresh basil leaves, whole

Instructions:
1. Heat olive oil in small frying pan.

2. Arrange desired amounts of cheese, tomato, and basil leaves between slices of bread. Place in frying pan.

3. After one side is nicely grilled and cheese has begun to melt, remove from pan.

4. Add more olive oil to pan and place sandwich back on pan, ungrilled side down.

5. When both sides are evenly grilled, remove from pan and serve.

This is probably my all-time favorite sandwich. I make them all the time for a quick meal, or to have with soup. Olive oil makes a wonderful grilled sandwich, much better than butter in my opinion. I like the olive oil flavor. This isn't the kind of thing that really needs a recipe of course because it's so simple, but it's just something I thought I'd share for anyone who's tired of eating plain old grilled cheese sandwiches with American cheese (bleh!) and butter.

5 comments:

  1. This also looks quick and delicious! May I request a non-sweet pumpkin recipe? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm basically out of food right now, so when I go to the farmer's market on Saturday I'll look around for exciting things to cook, like pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hullo, I'm Shannon's coworker/friend and she recommended me this website. I tried this grilled caprese sandwich and everyone said it was a hit! Thanks again for such a great and simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Samantha! I'm glad it was good!

    ReplyDelete