Thursday, January 13, 2011

Gardein: Amazing!

I passed by a fast food restaurant on my way to the grocery store yesterday, and they were advertising some kind crispy chicken sandwich. Now, fast food is not something that usually entices me. The last time I had fast food was over 9 months ago; before that it had been about 6 months. It's just not part of my life. I don't like it, I don't crave it. But, some kind of crispy chicken sounded fantastic at that moment. Once I reached the grocery store, I perused the frozen food aisles and found the answer to my craving: fake meat chicken tenders.
I tried them for the first time tonight, and I'm completely amazed. While they were cooking in my oven, my house really smelled like chicken! I put them on top of a salad, and I would swear to you that what I was eating was real chicken! I'm so thrilled with this product that I'm blogging about it, even though I did no cooking, this is not a recipe, it's just some frozen "chicken" tenders I warmed up and put on top of a simple salad.
I compared the nutrition information of these with McDonald's nuggets, and these are the results:


MCDonald’s 6 piece Chicken Nuggets (3.4 oz)
4 pieces Gardein Seven Grain Crispy Tenders (3.6 oz)
Calories
280
180
Calories from Fat
160
30
Total Fat
17g (27% DV)
3g (4% DV)
Saturated Fat
3g (15% DV)
0g
Trans Fat
0
0
Cholestorol
40mg (14% DV)
0mg
Sodium
600 (25% DV)
520mg (22% DV)
Carbohydrate
16g (5%)
18g (6% DV)
Fiber
0g
2g (8% DV)
Sugar
0g
0g
Protein
14g
18g
Vitamin A
0
0
Vitamin C
2% DV
0
Calcium
2% DV
8% DV
Iron
4% DV
30% DV


Pretty interesting, huh? I know what I'd give my kids, if I had kids. My seven year-old nephew loves chicken nuggets. I've told my mom to give these to him and see if they fool him. I think they will. They are really, really amazingly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment